A thin and crispy Neapolitan pizza made in only thirty minutes? I had always believed that was preposterous before I discovered a special little secret known as “pizza crust yeast”. For a fast fix, this turned out beautifully and in only a matter of minutes. I topped it with freshly plucked basil from my herb garden and overall, I was quite impressed.
30 Minute Thin and Crispy Pizza
Note: Makes one thin crust fifteen inch pizza. The use of “pizza crust yeast” allows this particular pizza to be made within the half hour and the thin nature of it allows it to bake up fast. Do not over-do the toppings.
Prep Time: 15 minutes Bake Time: 15 minutes
- 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 envelope Pizza Crust Yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup very warm water (about 125 degrees F)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 cup sauce
- 1 cup cheese
- 1/2 cup toppings
Basil, for serving – optional
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together 1 cup flour, pizza yeast (do not dissolve), sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add very warm water and oil. Mix well until blended, thoroughly. Gradually add enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Dough should form a ball and will be slightly sticky.
3. Knead on a floured surface, adding additional flour if necessary, until smooth and elastic, about 4 or five minutes.
4. Pat dough with floured hands into six inch disk.
a) Directions for dough tossers: Lift disk and toss from one hand to the other, then holding it at the edges, turn it like a steering wheel with hands until about fourteen to fifteen inches wide. Toss over fists and place on a large greased pizza pan (size of pizza dough – 15 inches- or larger).
b) Directions for dough rollers: You may roll dough on a floured counter to 15 inch circle; place in a large greased pizza pan or baking sheet. Form a rim by pinching the edge of the dough and allow to rest an additional five minutes before topping and baking.
5. Top with sauce, cheese and toppings of your choice, being sure not to overload the dough or add too much of anything in the center of the dough.
6. Bake in preheated oven until golden brown and bubbling. Allow to sit about five minutes before slicing and serving with freshly plucked basil.