We’re sitting under a layer of ice with all but a handful of things near us closed and cancelled for the day. We’re forced into the terrible comfort of our own home; made to lounge in our slippers in front of the fire for an extra day.
Oh, darn you, winter.
This weekend we did the bulk of our holiday decorating and shopping. We got our tree up, the lights untangled, the hooks have been located and the Christmas music files have finally been unearthed. Not too shabby for one weekend if I say so myself, now it’s time to take it easy.
This fast and easy meatless Monday dish will warm anyone up. This recipe is adapted from the April, 2013 issue of Bon Appetit Magazine. And, by adapted, I mean I pretty much made their recipe and then put it in a taco. Nothing too extravagant, obviously but it’s Monday, and this quick little addition made this dish go from officially kid loathed, to kid-loved by the simple little miracle of a taco shell. I left the salsa separate since the kids are not fans of anything
with flavor that’s spicy.
The result was a very budget conscious, time efficient, gluten-free, vegan dish that is easily adaptable to hold your favorite garnishes and personal twists. It was hailed as an official winner by three of the pickiest eaters I’ve ever known –otherwise known as my two boys and husband.
Rice and Bean Tacos with Ginger Chile Salsa
Adapted from: Bon Appetit, April 2013
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped, divided
- 1 cup brown rice
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro, divided (optional or you may substitute fresh parsley)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 15-ounce cans black or red beans, rinsed (I used one can of each)
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth or water
- 2 red jalapeños or Fresno or Holland chiles, stemmed, halved, seeded
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon chopped peeled ginger
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lime zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice