My boys won’t eat quiche. I’m not sure if the problem is in the name alone or that they don’t like anything made with visible eggs, but either way, there’s more for me I’m ok with that. This mini quiche recipe makes five (yes, only five and exactly five) mini vegetarian crustless quiches packed with golden melted onions, baby broccoli florets and fresh parmesan. They’re also spiked with the heat of pepper jack just to keep things interesting and baked in parchment cupcake liners for an individually portioned presentation that is guaranteed not to stick.
First, you chop up the onion and drop in a pan on low with a tablespoon of butter and loosely cover it. Let the onion cook slowly to develop flavor. I, being admittedly impatient, try to do something else in the interim so I don’t rush the onion’s diva-like process. Next, you add broccoli (or whatever green vegetable you have on hand) and make sure you cook that thoroughly so it doesn’t make the quiche watery. The more the vegetable cooks in the pan, and not in the quiche, the better it will be because cooking it releases the water from the vegetables before adding to the egg mixture. I’ve never personally come to encounter a watery quiche, but it sounds super gross and is definitely something you should attempt to avoid, in my opinion. Season the cooked vegetables with a bit of salt and pepper before turning off the heat to cool, slightly. Next, you whip up some eggs (I used two egg whites and two whole eggs) and add the pepper jack and parmesan. Combine the egg mixture with the vegetable mixture and scoop into the prepared pan and bake in a relatively low temperature oven. I’ve found eggs generally do better at a low temperature.
That’s it for today. My light and healthy New Year’s brunch for two is fantastic when accompanied by a few sweet potato fries and some fresh fruit on the side. This recipe can be doubled and served as an appetizer for a party of six to eight at any time of day. It’s very easy and very adaptable, but also just perfect as written, if I do say so myself.
- five (nonstick) parchment cupcake wrappers
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped (about ⅓ cup)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 ounces frozen gourmet baby broccoli florets
- 2 eggs + 2 egg whites
- ⅓ cup diced or grated pepper jack cheese
- ⅓ cup shredded parmesan
- Preheat oven to three hundred degrees Fahrenheit. Line a muffin pan with quality, nonstick cupcake liners.
- In a nonstick pan over low heat, add onion and butter. Partially cover and cook, past translucency, until onion begins to turn a pale golden brown in color. Add salt, pepper and frozen broccoli. Cover and let cook until broccoli is hot and tender. Remove cover. Toss and set aside to cool.
- Whip eggs, add cheese and vegetables. Stir to combine.
- Using ⅓ cup dry measure, scoop into prepared, lined, pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-18 minutes, or until just set. Serve warm.