Tomato and Scallion Quesadillas

These quesadillas are a product of what’s happening in my garden now.  I know most people have a zucchini invasion in their gardens at the moment.  I, however, have an onslaught of cherry tomatoes to eat on a daily basis which I rather enjoy.

This is  a light, quick, and seasonal home-grown lunch that can be made in a matter of minutes.

Tomato and Scallion Quesadillas

with black beans, manchego and roasted tomatillo salsa.

Serves 2-4 (makes three halved stuffed quesadillas as pictured above)

• olive oil
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 10.5 ounce can of black beans, drained
  • 2 tablespoons salsa, plus more to finish if desired (your choice, I used this one)
  • 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1/4 cup sliced scallions
  • about 1/2 cup grated manchego cheese (more of less if desired)
  •  eight inch flour tortillas

Place large nonstick skillet over high heat and coat bottom thinly with olive oil. Drop in garlic, black beans and salsa.  Toss occasionally so the garlic doesn’t burn, until hot.  Remove from heat and add tomatoes, scallions and manchego.  Season to taste.   Drop filling into flour tortillas and fold tortillas in half.  Press firmly to evenly distribute filling.  Place filled tortillas in a dry nonstick skillet over medium high heat until gently warmed, then flip to warm the other side of the quesadilla.  Repeat with remaining filled tortillas.   Serve with additional salsa if desired.

This entry was posted in For Kids, Lunch, Vegetarian and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Tomato and Scallion Quesadillas

1. Gina says:

I know what I’m making for dinner!!!! This!! Looks great, Kate!

2. Asmita says:

Looks so delicious!

3. My family loves quesadillas and this is a nice simple yet healthy recipe everyone could enjoy!

4. Baker Street says:

i love homemade quesadillas and its just great that you can use everything from your garden. great recipe, kate!

5. Yes two weeks ago zucchini was all over the place but now it is cherry tomatoes galore. I wish it was 50/50. If only nature would coordinate better.

6. what a lovely quesadilla! i am so wishing i was able to have a garden!

7. Cakewhiz says:

Mmmmmm…i know what i am making for next mexican night ;)

8. These quesadillas look fantastic, I love the flavour combo you have put in :D

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

9. Natalie says:

I love the tomato and scallion combination and it’s not dripping in cheese and oil, which is how most restaurants make their quesadillas. These look wonderfully light and refreshing. I’ll be trying them soon. Thanks.

10. Jane says:

Tomatoes and scallions. Yum! I’ll definitely try these tomorrow. They look like the perfect lunch.

11. Martha-b says:

Looks fantastic. I love the idea of getting kids involved. It makes a big difference.

12. Karen Harris says:

I love this combination of flavors. I was lazy this year and didn’t grow any tomatoes, or anything for that matter. I’m really kicking myself now after seeing this post. This looks wonderful.