It has rained for four days in a row! Granted, my tomato plants are happy the heat wave has ended, but we’re stuck indoors and the kids and I are a bit bored. We did crafts, we did board games, we even cleaned (sorta-kinda), but it was short-lived. So, what else to do but bake something? Right? My kids aren’t really one for anything exotic so when I told Trey I was going to make something that involved chocolate and cookies, he was pretty excited. Max screamed, “I EAT COOKIES NOMM MNOMM MNOMMM”, executing his best cookie monster impression. I asked if they wanted to help, to which they replied with the suggestion that they “just do the dishes instead,” while playing with my kitchen-designated tape measure. Doesn’t every home cook and baker have kitchen-designated tape measure? I shrugged and figured since they are cute and entertaining, I would just do the work for them. I do like baking.
So, while they ran around and annoyed each other and chased each other around like a live showing of Tom and Jerry, (minus the weapons and tails); I whipped up these beauties. They’re unlike any cookie I have ever baked before, and they are beyond amazing. Seriously, these are the best cookies I’ve baked in years and I bake a lot of cookies from a lot of different recipes. Melted marshmallow is the key along with a higher oven temperature and shorter baking time (than most cookie recipes call for). They’re crispy on the edges and almost fudge-like and chewy in the middle. They’re rich and chocolaty yet simple and light from the marshmallow. They’re phenomenal, if I do say so myself. But, I think a lot of things are phenomenal. The ultimate critic is my five-year old who hates everything, Trey.
Trey sniffed the cookie, then examined it closely, holding it up to his eye, inspecting every angle (to which Max and I rolled our eyes, just a bit… I admit). He then took a bite,
“Chocolate Awesomes”, he replied with delight in his eye and a chin full of melted chocolate. They were silent for almost ten minutes before the sugar rush hit them. After that, it’s all a blur. But, I know that these are a winner. A definite keeper for a lifetime to come.
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons dark cocoa powder
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, well chilled
- 2 cups dark chocolate morsels
- Melt butter in microwave safe bowl on high in microwave until completely liquefied and lightly bubbling. Add mini marshmallows and stir. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk flour, baking soda and dark cocoa powder together.
- In a large mixing bowl beat brown sugar and egg. Add whisked dry ingredients in two additions mixing after each addition.
- Add chilled cream to slightly cooled melted butter-marshmallow mixture and stir. Pour into the other ingredients while mixing on low with an electric mixer until just combined.
- Fold in dark chocolate morsels.
- Chill cookie dough for one hour.
- Place oven rack in center of oven.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease or parchment-line three standard 11×17 inch rimmed cookie sheets.
- Using a round tablespoon measure, scoop batter into leveled tablespoons and drop onto prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake 1 dozen at a time in preheated oven in center rack for 6-8 minutes.
- Cool on pan for three minutes then remove with a metal spatula and place onto cooling rack to cool completely.
Makes three dozen cookies