Broccoli and Cheddar Stuffed Twice Baked Potatoes

In case you didn’t notice the blistering heat indices afflicting our lovely nation, let me tell ya… it’s been really hot outside.   That means I don’t use the oven much, but when I do bake, I do it in the morning before the sun starts tormenting my feeble air conditioning.

Grilling season is in full swing and so that means that while most people focus on the steak and the marinade, and all that fancy stuff, I’m thinking about some vegetable skewers, salads, sweet corn, baked beans, veggie burgers and this lovely side dish.  A rich and comforting twice baked potato.

I am apparently one of the few that has always loved broccoli.   It was always my favorite vegetable as a kid, so I don’t really understand many others’ aversion to this underrated, humble vegetable. However, one thing I definitely understand is that smothering it in tangy sharp cheddar cheese and seasoning  it into delicious submission with black pepper and sea salt will always impress even the worst of the broccoli cynics.   It’s empirically delicious, in my honest opinion. You can disagree all you’d like, but you’d have to try it before you completely declare broccoli hatred. I think you might be a changed person because of it.

I do the initial baking in the morning when it’s still cool.  That way the oven isn’t on for hours in the sun-scorched afternoon.   Just finish it off a half hour before dinner time and you’re good to go.  You might even be able to put these on a top rack of a grill to finish. I’ve yet to try that but I’d be intrigued to test it out in the near future.

Simple and easy, quick to finish and deliciously hearty and comforting.

Broccoli and Cheddar Stuffed Twice Baked Potatoes

• 2 extra large baking potatoes
  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 6 ounces marbled sharp cheddar cheese, grated
  • 1 tablespoon grated shallot
  • 2 cups of broccoli florets (you may add more if desired)
  • fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • parsley or chives, for garnish

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and wrap potatoes in foil.   Bake until tender, then remove from oven and bring to room temperature, then refrigerate until ready to use.

Unwrap potatoes, and using a spoon, scoop out the potato and reserve in a mixing bowl, leaving a rim of white on the skin so they’re not too flimsy to stuff.   Steam the broccoli until tender but still slightly crisp and still brightly colored.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and place skins into a shallow oven safe dish.  Bake empty potato skins until crisp, or about ten minutes.

Add melted butter, grated shallot and half of the grated cheese to the reserved potato and mash.   Fold in steamed broccoli and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Scoop potato mix back into the baked potato skins and  top with remaining cheddar cheese.  Place in preheated oven until bubbly (about 5-7 minutes)

Top with parsley or chives to finish.

This entry was posted in All, Dinner, Entertaining, For Kids, Lunch, Vegetarian and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Broccoli and Cheddar Stuffed Twice Baked Potatoes

1. Lauren says:

Kate, these look amazing! I’m always up for some potatoes, and broccoli and cheese are just the cherry on top! Great idea, can’t wait to make these!

2. Andrea says:

My boyfriend and his two kiddos are driving 500 miles on Christmas eve to spend Christmas with me and my son. There’s a snowstorm moving in and I’m going to have these potatoes and a roasted pork loin waiting for them when they get off the road. I can’t think of a more perfect way to welcome them, thanks so much for sharing!

3. I´m a broccoli lover also, especially with pasta. This is just as easy and great tasting! Love the idea

4. Nicole says:

Wonderful idea! Im not the biggest broccoli fan, but this could easily convert me!

5. Hi Kate! Thanks for stopping by my blog and I want to say congratulations on the Babble’s top 100 mom food blogs!

I love potatoes and this broccoli & cheddar stuffed baked potatoes sound extremely delicious! It’s totally my kind of food. Yum!!

6. This just took me waaaaayyyy back to when I was a teenager. This one my absolute favorite thing to eat.

7. I love broccoli and always have. I’ll eat it raw or cooked and, of course, a little cheese never hurts. I love the idea of stuffing it in a baked potato and these look so delicious!

8. MaryCC says:

My family and I enjoyed your recipe very much! Definitely a new frequent side dish. Thank you. =D

9. Lesley says:

I haven’t made twice baked potatoes but have thought about it a number of times. These look great!!

Mmmmm….I’m a sucker for twiced baked potatoes, but haven’t incorporated veggies before. I would love this for my entree any day of the week!

11. Maggiebierbaurer says:

Delicious and easy recipe. Turned out great and everyone loved it. We’ll be making this one again and again.

12. Ursa says:

Deliciously decadent yet also quite light! I love broccoli too.

13. these look super delicious! it has been ages since i’ve had a baked potato, but now i need to make these!

14. Sammie@luveofcake says:

I made these last night after seeing them onpinterest and the whole family loved them, even my pickiest eater. Thanks, Kate! They were a hit!

15. Dan for food says:

This looks so deliciously satisfying. Thanks for sharing!

16. Sandy says:

Congratulation on the Babble top 100! That’s an amazing honor. I’ve never made the frozen hot chocolate pie before, but from the way they raved about it, I will definitely put it at the top of my list. Yum! So happy for you and these stuffed potatoes are sooooo good.

17. vanessa23 says:

These look amazing, Kate! I think I’ll make ‘em tonight!

18. Kate, this look so yummy! We love stuffed baked potatoes in my house :)

19. Karen Harris says:

Thanks so much for the follow on Twitter because it led me to your beautiful site. I love your recipes and your photos are lovely. It has been such a treat to snoop around. I just made a batch of twice baked potatoes for the 4th and didn’t think to put broccoli in them darn it, but I’m am please to say that I put it on my pizza. Yum.

Nice to meet you!

20. Ursa says:

This looks like the perfect lunch! Now, I’m hungry. yum!

21. Baker Street says:

I’ve never been a big fan of broccoli but this looks incredible! Twice baked and a generous helping of cheddar on top totally does the trick! I’m going to give this a try but maybe add some bacon in it ;)