I tend to do a lot of bite sized things as the weather heats up. It’s perfect for entertaining. This dish is just a little something extra to put out at a barbecue while people wait for the main event. I’ve also made this using heirloom tomatoes and plum and roma tomatoes and it works great as an interesting salad no matter the tomatoes you use, as long as they are ripe. So, if you’re not into stuffing tiny tomatoes, I’m ok with you just putting it in a bowl or using bigger tomatoes, especially if you’re just serving this on a not so special weekday evening. Either way, it makes an excellent salad or appetizer.
Grilled Corn and Avocado Salad Stuffed Tomatoes
Note: Larger tomatoes allow for easier/less preparation time. You may alternately chop the tomatoes and toss in the bowl and serve this as a salad instead.
- 6-8 roma or plum tomatoes (or 2 pints of cherry tomatoes, halved)
- 2 ears of corn, shucked
- 2 ripe avocados, seeded, peeled and finely diced
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 1 lime, bested
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/3 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- cilantro, for garnish