These muffins are a product of my inner five year old.  There are very few things I love more than apples, cinnamon and graham crackers. I’ve loved these things for as long as I can remember, which  means they’re most likely picky-eater friendly.

I tried making something similar and it ended up burned on the top and sunken in the middle. Terrible, epic fail?  I’d say so.  So, I threw some dishes in the sink, stomped my boots as a five year old would (fortunately there was nobody around) and then tried again, making only a few alterations.  These were the result.

They’re heavenly and they’re a one bowl recipe, which happens to be my favorite type of baking recipe. The first batch I made was overly complicated and turned out terribly.  So, I kept this one simple and pretty easy, if you ask me.  It also involves the smashing of crumbs with a rolling-pin, which is also one of my favorite things to do.  Apples in every single bite, loaded with cinnamon and topped with buttery, cinnamon sugary graham cracker streusel.  I totally want to eat these while coloring and then go play with my cabbage patch dolls.

Apple Cinnamon Muffins

• 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus two tablespoons more for coating apples
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups diced, peeled tart apples
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil or cooled melted butter

Graham Cracker Streusel:

• 5 sheets of graham crackers (20 individual graham crackers)
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 6 tablespoons room temperature butter
Move oven rack to top third of oven and preheat to 400 degrees fahrenheit.  Line twelve muffin tins (line eleven muffin tins for huge muffins) with muffin/cupcake papers.

In a large bowl, sift together the following dry ingredients: flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk dry ingredients to thoroughly and evenly mix.  Next sprinkle two tablespoons of flour over diced apples and toss to coat.  Add apples to dry ingredients. Toss to coat.  Add the following ingredients to the bowl while mixing with an electric mixer set to low:  eggs, sour cream and oil. When batter comes together evenly, turn off mixer.

In a small resealable bag, add streusel topping ingredients.  Seal bag, leaving a small opening for air to escape and place it flat on its side on a cutting board.  Smash the baggie with a rolling pan until ingredients are crumbly.   Pick the bag up and gently massage and shake to coat crumbs evenly with butter, then place back down and smash again, if needed. Streusel should be even and fully mixed at this point.

Using an ice cream scoop or a one quarter cup measure, add batter to each lined muffin tin cup.  Place one handful of streusel on top of each muffin and press gently to make sure the streusel sticks.  Place in preheated oven and bake until muffin springs back when gently pressed, or for about 10 minutes.

20 Responses to Apple Cinnamon Muffins with Graham Cracker Streusel

1. I’m printing this out right now and I might just make them in the morning! We are supposed to have a big snow storm tonight-they seem like a perfect snowy morning treat! Yum!

2. kita says:

I’m rooting for your inner 5 year old this fall because these muffins sound amazing!

3. Alyssa says:

Those look great! I’ve got some graham crackers in my pantry that are getting stale, I think this would be a great way to use them. Thanks for sharing!

4. Haha! Oh your post cracked me up… I’ve done this before when a recipe didn’t go my way… Luckily for my hubby he learned early on to stay FAR away when I’m in the kitchen. ;-) These look SO good… I can’t wait to try them!

5. Sandra says:

These would go so well with a cup of green tea right about now. My apple crisp loving daughter will love these!

6. Parsley Sage says:

Oh, they look heavenly! Its always better to keep things simple and I think theses turned out beautifully. Sometimes a little temper tantrum can really make all the difference in your recipe :)

7. I love apples and cinnamon. Such a great combo. These muffins look amazing and that topping just makes them even more appealing. Yum

Oh, yum! My inner 5 year-old is kicking and screaming on the floor because she’s allergic to cinnamon and has to have the plain graham crackers!

9. Elies_Lie says:

first time I see the tittle I think I have to read it right away
    Is this the apple from ur apple picking before kate? this muffin must be so-so fresh appley! & ur detail describe is makes my mouthwatering right now! I wish I can have this with my morning coffe! :D
    Tq for posting the recipe kate! & tq for ur tempting describe > Apples in every single bite, loaded with cinnamon and topped with buttery, cinnamon sugary graham cracker streusel < very tempting describe in fact! YUM! ;)

10. Your description was all I needed to make a decision on these. I like a lot of flavor to my muffins, not just a bunch of cake and these meet all my preferences when it comes to muffins. Thanks for posting this one-delicious.

11. Did you hear my audible gasp from over there? I adore the idea of a graham cracker streusel topping! Why have I never heard of that before. Perfect. Absolutely perfect. As is that muffin.

12. Glad to hear I’m not the only one who has a mini-tantrum when a recipe bombs the first time around. :) These look like they were totally worth the frustration, though… the graham cracker streusel sounds divine!

13. Yum! Warm apples and cinnamon are a win for sure. Plus, I love that graham cracker crust. Very creative, yet it makes perfect sense. They look amazing.

I’m so glad it’s apple season! Your muffins look fabulous…especially that crunchy topping!

15. Meghan says:

I love smashing crumbs with a rolling pin too :) These look incredible!!

16. Samantha says:

Kate you are amazing for sharing this with us! I am 100% making this on the weekend! I can smell them from here!

Love!Love!Love!

XO

Sam

17. I can’t wait to make these muffins! I love cinnamon graham crackers these have to be delicious! Totally ok to bring out your inner 5 year old every once in awhile, especially when no one is around to see.

18. Lacy says:

These look sooo good! I love apples & cinnamon & who doesn’t love streusel!

19. That looks really good..!i want some!

20. Oh a graham cracker streusel sounds so yummy! You keep giving us all these great apple recipes. Definately keep them coming Kate!

%d bloggers like this: