Slow Cooker Caramel Apples

This recipe is one of those never-ever fail recipes, even for the worst and most inexperienced of home cooks and bakers, but delicious enough for anyone to make, regardless of skill level.  This recipe also doubles as the most amazing and most delicious potpourri you will ever know.  Seriously, its way better than a scented candle and a zillion times tastier, not that I eat candles or anything.  That would be weird.

You just drop the stuff into the slow cooker, stir, and cover, turn it on and walk away. My favorite way to eat this is over rum raisin ice cream, though pumpkin and vanilla would work just as well.  It’s phenomenal.  The warm spiced caramel apples on the cold ice cream is fall in a sundae and completely spectacular.

Slow Cooker Caramel Apples (and apple butter recipe)

• 1 cup dark brown sugar
  • half a stick of butter, rough cut into pieces
  • 8 cups of peeled and diced apples
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • dash of freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

In a slow cooker, add all ingredients and mix thoroughly. Cover and cook on high until apples are tender, or about three hours.

To make into apple butter, cook until the apples lose their shape.  Mash to desired consistency.  Freeze up to two months in an air tight container.

Note: The salted-cinnamon-vanilla-caramel sauce that coats the apples will thicken slightly upon cooling.

This entry was posted in Breakfast, Dessert, For Kids, Vegetarian and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Slow Cooker Caramel Apples

1. Pingback: Slow Cooker Caramelized Apples | Cookware Store

2. Pingback: Caramel Apple Butter Galette | Kate from Scratch

3. Susan says:

This sounds amazing! I wonder what kind of cake thing I could serve it with, alongside the ice cream. Have you tried it with spice cake?

4. ButterYum says:

Hi Kate – I just wanted to let you know I made these apples recently and they were a huge hit. I just published a blog post about them – I hope you’ll stop by for a visit.

Patricia

5. Debbie says:

Does this keep for awhile in the fridge?

6. Karen says:

This sounds delicious…I am making it tonight. The picture shows raisins, but none are listed in the recipe. Do you put them in the crock pot with the apples or just add them after the apples have cooked?

• You can garnish this with raisins or pecans or whipped cream. Definitely try it on top of ice cream, in my opinion, you won’t be sorry. ;)

I didn’t add the raisins to the slow cooker, as it would cause the raisins to plump significantly and I’m not a huge fan of that. But, if you don’t mind it, you can definitely give it a go and add them right to the pot. Just be sure to adjust the sweetness to your liking, since raisins are pretty sweet themselves, you probably won’t need as much added sugar.

7. Elyse says:

mmm these look delicious! I love the flavors of fall so much and your photos and recipe are making me crave this!

8. oh my goodness…this sounds incredible! Forget Yankee Candle and their $25 faux scented candles…I’m making this for the weekend! Thanks for sharing!

9. This looks sooo good and such a great use of your slow cooker!!

10. Juanita says:

Comfort food…yum :-)

11. Christine says:

Looks and sounds wonderful. Must try this. Thanks for sharing.

Sounds delicious! I wonder how it would taste without the cinnamon (allergies)….

Oh, you said the magic word: caramel!!! And paired with apples???? This sounds amazing~

14. Parsley Sage says:

I am SO bookmarking this. Outstanding! Here’s me wishing Cayman had fall :( Buzzed!

15. Wow…I love cooked apples. Have never tried them in the slow cooker yet. But that sauce….THAT sounds amazing!

16. mjskit says:

Now I’m definitely going to have to get a slow cooker! These sound wonderful and I just LOVE caramel apples! Great recipe!

17. Peggy says:

Oh yummy! It’s definitely that time of year that I love to bust out my slow cooker for anything and everything – and you better believe that this will be in there at some point =)

18. Charissa says:

Yummy! Love this idea!

19. This is like the best of fall in a bowl! I can’t even imagine how good your house would smell!

20. Love this! I am totally bookmarking so I dont loose it and I can make it after I go apple picking next month. (hopefully)

21. That looks seriously amazing! Is it ok if I just lick the screen? ;-)

22. Oh my gosh. I’d be dunking my head in the slow cooker. This is absolutely one of my favorite fall things; the caramel apple. The only thing I’ve never liked about it is how little caramel covers the apple and how hard the apple is to bite into while slippery caramel is around it. You’ve solved all those issues. And made it easy. I think I love you.

23. Love this idea! Screams fall!