Nillanana Muffins

Did you know that muffins are girl food?  This according to my darling five year old who just recently noticed that I’m the only “girl” in the house.  He now deems almost anything that I enjoy, “girl” food.  So anytime that I decide that I should make muffins, I’m left being solely responsible for their subsequent delicious demolition.  How can that be?  Doesn’t everyone like muffins?  It’s basically cake in breakfast form.

Being the ever so clever mom-type that I am I added a little more vanilla and sprinkled these gently with rainbow confections to trick his adorable mind into subconsciously believing these might just be as good as cupcakes.  Sprinkles, yes, so simple yet oh so very powerful. I think I could sprinkle them onto almost anything and suddenly my darling five year old would be at the mercy of their calling.  It’s nutrition incognito, but I’ve yet to test that hypothesis.  You know what also helps, is that I told him he wasn’t allowed to have any.  You’d be surprised how well it worked.  Simple reverse psychology yielded an almost instant desire that percolated within him….he HAD TO have that muffin.  After only a few minutes of cajoling, I “reluctantly” allowed him to have one.  Now who doesn’t like muffins?  That’s right….nobody.

Nillanana Muffins

• 1 3/4 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
  • 3 very ripened bananas, thoroughly mashed
  • 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • rainbow sprinkles

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and butter or spray a twelve cup full size muffin pan.  Whisk together in a large bowl, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.  In medium bowl, whisk together eggs, butter, bananas and vanilla.  Gently and without overmixing, fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Note that the batter after folding should be a bit lumpy, do not mix until smooth, unless you like your muffins like rubber tires.  Drop batter evenly into prepared muffin pan and sprinkle rainbow sprinkles on top of each muffin before baking.  Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes clean from center of muffins. Place muffin tin on a wire rack to cool for five minutes before removing muffins from pan.  Serve warm or at room temperature.

Adapted from: source
This entry was posted in Breakfast, For Kids. Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Nillanana Muffins

1. i was thinking while reading your post … well, if no one wants these gorgeous muffins I’ll take them, just to do you a favor.
    Now, after finishing reading whole post, i’m getting hungry and no muffins to eat since your 5 yr old ate them :(

2. Reeni says:

Sprinkles are irresistible! They immediately draw you in. These are scrumptious! And pretty.

3. My boys love outnumbering me as well. Muffins = chick food? ha ha, glad my kids haven’t realized that. I’d be swimming in muffins. These look adorable with the sprinkles.

4. RavieNomNoms says:

I love these! Hehe, so adorable! I love that they are banana and they have sprinkles. Total girl food! ;-)

5. alex says:

I love the sprinkles on top! these look delish

6. briarrose says:

Too funny. Rainbow sprinkles…they will bring me to my knees as well. ;) Love these muffins.

7. Too cute :) I love the sprinkle trick! These muffins look fantastic.

8. Such a cute story! Love it. And the muffins look great too.

9. Too cute! The power of sprinkles! Looks like it was a scrumptious recipe too!

10. Colored sprinkles make everything better!!! = )

11. Adding sprinkles is absolutely genius. I’ll bet I could get Dudette to eat something with zucchini in it that way. The muffins are gorgeous. I’d say cute, but with a guy liking them, they can’t be, right?

12. Alyssa says:

Those muffins are too cute! I’ll have to try the sprinkles on my kids….maybe even for veggies?!? :)

13. Parsley Sage says:

I kind of already knew that muffins were girl food :) I mean, they’re individual-sized which has a high cute factor. They’re sweet (like a girl) and they smell really good (also girly.) I think your 5-year old is on to something!

Buzzed

14. Anonymous says:

ah… banana in the muffin! Love it!
    Tq for sharing the recipe kate – I do loves muffin for breakfast! ;)

15. I’m all over ‘girl food’! So cute! But these banana muffins look really good. (I do love the sprinkles!)

That’s funny….must answer the call of the sprinkles! I always find it fascinating that kids will order foods by color! They want the PINK ice-cream or the PURPLE donut! GREEN? Not so much….

17. Claire says:

I love the sprinkles & the name of these muffins. Your trick made me laugh, so funny

18. Peggy says:

Way to trick the little guy =)

He definitely didn’t want to miss out on these, as I’m sure they’re super tasty!

19. I got a laugh from your reverse psychology trick, so funny. So funny that even with the pink in the sprinkles they are not even more like ‘Girl Food”

20. These muffins look great and I adore the sprinkles on top. Sprinkles have magical powers of turning any food into something you want to eat. Even if it is “girly” food :)

21. hahaha! Just a little bit of sprinkles and all is well in the world :)
    Too cute! I wonder if my little one will need sprinkles to lure him at that age?

So sweet xo

22. kankana says:

They looks so fluffy and perfectly baked. The colorful sprinkle adds a lot of color too :)

23. That is so adorable! My son has started doing this too, especially if he hears his Dad say something about it being “chick food”. haha! I love what you did with this, they look so good.

24. Oh the sprinkles are so cute! Love these muffins.

25. Funny! My son points out that I am the only girl in our house too, but he hasn’t taken it as far as girl food. Maybe his obsession for muffins means he will side with me! The sprinkles are a great idea – so cute!

Oh, these sound delish!!! And so fun with the sprinkles :)

27. Charissa says:

Those are so pretty! Amazing how sprinkles make everything just soooo beautiful!

28. Funny how sprinkles can make all the difference! They are eye catching and bring you back to your childhood days. To me they are like a food magnet.
    You did a great job with that muffin. Sometimes it is nice to let one flavor just shine by iteself. Great post!