Creamy Thyme Sauce

This is a really simple béchamel sauce that I added only a few ingredients to, this evening.  It’s easy and it’s fast and it goes wonderfully over vegetables, pasta and chicken.  If you don’t have garlic powder and thyme, I promise they’re worth buying, since they’re very versatile.  The recipe’s composition is merely simple ingredients that you most likely already have and, in fact, you’ve probably made something similar before, but the family insisted that I must write this one up.  So, here are a few tips:

1.  Use slightly more butter than flour.

2.  Use heated milk, not cold milk.

3.  A dash of grated nutmeg  and black pepper go far.  Not a lot, just a smidgen.

4.  Parmesan and thyme can be substituted for something that suits your tastes, though this garlic, parmesan and thyme flavor really hits the spot for us.

5.  This sauce cooks up in about 10 minutes, so stay close.

Creamy Thyme Sauce

• 4 tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 2 cups whole milk, heated
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • Salt to taste
  • dash fresh grated nutmeg (optional)
  • dash fresh ground pepper (to taste)

Place saucepan over medium-low heat, add butter to melt.  Once melted, add flour stirring constantly until smooth.  Cook flour and butter until it reaches a pale golden color (5 minutes), then whisk in milk.  Bring to a low boil and stir.  Reduce temperature to low add parmesan and stir until melted.   Season with garlic powder and thyme.  Add salt to taste. Add nutmeg and pepper if desired.  Stir and simmer one minute more.  Remove from heat and serve immediately.

Note:  If sauce gets too tight and thick, whisk in some additional heated milk, or a little hot pasta water.

This entry was posted in All, Dinner, For Kids, Lunch, Vegetarian and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Creamy Thyme Sauce

1. Elizabeth says:

Thank you so much Kate! Yummy and so simple to make

2. Juanita says:

Love using thyme in sauces! It amazes me how much lemon thyme actually tastes like lemons.

3. I always look for good bechamel sauce. I have to keep this recipe handy for my next trial! Addition of Permesan and thyme is nice!

4. Kelly says:

What a great sauce, this looks so delicious! :)

5. Tamar says:

I planted a bunch of thyme in my front yard for the first time and it’s growing pretty well. Hubby is now telling me, “It’s time for some thyme!” This recipe reminded me that he’s right. :)

6. Great post, Kate! Yummy recipe, and great tips for the bechamel :) Thanks for sharing, Kate!

7. This sauce looks amazing, wonderfully creamy and very flavorful with garlic powder and thyme!

8. You don’t even have to describe this! That picture says it all! Perfection! : )

9. Reem says:

Delicious!!!! This sauce looks so lusciously divine. Wonderful flavors and aroma of thyme and nutmeg must have made this to die for. Love the pictures…

10. Mmmm…this looks yummy!
    I can definitely get behind those ingredients and I agree with you,
    a little dash of spice can go a long way :)

11. I am sure the sauce is delicious but that first shot looks magazine worthy

12. Tiffany says:

It’s amazing how simple tweaks to a mother sauce can be so magical!

13. Gina says:

Hi Kate,
    Love this sauce and glad you used a little nutmeg. I love thyme so much I grow it so I can have it all year long. I though I had you in my reader, sorry just corrected that.
    -Gina-

14. claudia says:

This is the best excuse I can think of to use my thyme. And the photos just enchant.

15. Yum! This sauce looks super tasty. I bet it would even be good served over grilled chicken!

16. Manu says:

Bechamel is my favourite sauce! Great idea to “spice it up” a little! :-)

17. Val says:

Thanks for the bechamel tips. It reminds me how long its been since I last made a cream sauce!

18. Claire says:

This sounds delicious, perfect for pasta. Thanks for sharing!

Stunning! An amazing sauce and your tips & tricks is awesome! Thanks for sharing!

20. pasta with this creamy sauce is colourful looks wonderful

21. Sandra says:

Quick and easy, YES!!

22. This sounds so good! My kind of comfort food. Definitely hungry now.

23. Jeannie says:

10 minutes? That’s sounds fast enough for me lol! Looks great too! Your vegetables look really fresh!

24. Great quick cream sauce for over pasta! Just add some veggies and you are done!

25. Meghan says:

I love a good bechamel sauce! Parmesan, garlic, & thyme makes it just perfect for a pasta dish!