Spinach Caprese Salad

Is there anything simpler? Is there anything more magnificent? Can you think of anything more elegantly and naturally perfect?

There’s not much to say about a beautiful caprese salad and yet there’s everything to say about it. There are very few flavor combinations like mozzarella, tomato and basil, in my opinion. Whether it’s raw or cooked, it works really well (margherita pizza anyone?). There aren’t many dishes like that, or at least, not many that we’ve personally come across in my experience, anyway. Individually each element, each ingredient, is highly unique and clearly has a voice of its own, yet when they all come together it composes an entirely new and even more delicious harmony of flavor. There’s the sweet and tangy juicy tomatoes, the rich and creamy bite of the fresh mozzarella, the earthy yet sweet basil. I added spinach to fill out the dish a bit and amp up the leafy green factor. When you love caprese salad as much as I do, anything to make the experience and enjoyment hang around a little longer without the additional calories is a very good thing.

Easy. Simple. Delicious.

Perfect.

Spinach Caprese Salad

• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons aged sweet balsamic vinegar
  • 2 cups baby spinach leaves
  • 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in halves
  • 8 oz. fresh mozzarella, crumbled
  • 1/3 cup basil leaves, chopped

Recommended: Serve with a slice of warm and crusty Italian bread

Whisk together the olive oil and balsamic and set aside. Toss together the remaining ingredients and drizzle with the oil and vinegar mixture.

This entry was posted in All, Dinner, Lunch, Vegetarian and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Spinach Caprese Salad

1. This is what summer is meant to be. Love this salad!

2. Very easy to prepare and sounds delicious! I usually don’t put basil in it. Now I’ll have to try your version! :-)

3. Firefly says:

So simple, fresh and yummy :) Always a favorite for me :)

4. kristy says:

This looks fabulous Kate! And I’m on a total salad kick lately. On the list!

5. Mary Kay says:

Wow, looks lovely, fresh and tasty! Great pic and recipe!

6. my favorite summer salad!!
    Congrats on top 9 Kate, love the new design

7. Coley says:

Yum, sounds deliciously simple! :) Perfect!

8. Sandra says:

Beautiful salad, Congrats on Top 9!!!

9. Jennifer says:

Mmmmm, now I want a caprese. I swear, this is not a shameless plug, I really think you’d like it : http://eatyourvegetable.com/content/mango-caprese-basil-vinaigrette …Congrats on top 9!

10. I think I just found lunch! Beautiful salad, Kate. Congrats on Top #1 spot!

Congratulations on making Food Buzz’s Top 9!

12. It is perfect – not much more to say about it!

13. Kita says:

I <3 spinach salads! And to combine it with mozzarella and tomatoes – Perfect!

What a lovely fresh dish, perfect for summer!

15. I think the perfect summer salad. A caprese with winter tomatoes can not come close!

16. Caprese salad is one of my all time favorites! Your colorful pictures look awesome..nothing beats a fresh salad!

17. This sounds wonderful. Refreshing, fresh and healthy, can’t get much better than that!

18. Yummy! I love a caprese… Perfect for the summer! And I love the addition of the spinach too! :) Great post, Kate!

19. I love a simple caprese salad. But adding spinach to it is simply brilliant! Why have I never thought of that!?! Looks beautiful, too! : )

20. Alida says:

It seems the simplest recipes are often the greatest. I love the addition of spinach to the caprese salad. This sounds and looks delicious!

21. You are so right about he Caprese, simple elegant and perfect! It is a staple in this house, whether a quick lunch or a light appetizer at dinner and now that the Heirlooms are coming in we’re it’s on the menu almost every day. Love the addition of the spinach!

22. One of my ALL time fav combos!