Blueberry Pancakes!

This is not one of my research projects. It’s just pancakes.  You’ve probably made them before.  However, I have a few tips to share with you.

1.  Never chop up your berries.  I know they’re a little bulky, but when they heat in the batter on the pan, and then hit your mouth they burst open with flavor.  If you chop them up you’ll lose all “bursting” potential.

2.  Melted butter.  Don’t be shy.  You know those pancakes you get at that awesome place you love?  Their secret is probably obscene amounts of butter.  No restaurant makes low-fat pancakes.  There’s a reason for that.  Low fat pancakes don’t taste very good.  I’d rather have “just coffee”, than low-fat pancakes.  If you’re not making these every day, use real butter and lots of it.

3.  Don’t let the butter smoke.  This means you either need to clarify the butter first, or use a very low flame when making pancakes.  If making multiple batches of pancakes with unclarified butter, you must cool the pan down between batches.   If the milk solids in the butter start to brown, you won’t have an unblemished product in the end.  Brown butter is good, but should always be intentional.

4.  Smaller and thinner is better, in my opinion.  Not crepes, but thin enough to see lumps of purple berries under the batter.

6.  Powdered sugar and additional berries on top.  I recommend it.

7.  Don’t add the berries to the batter, add them to the pancake. This way, each bite gets at least one berry.  I find that 5 berries to a 4 inch pancake is perfect.

Blueberry Pancakes!

• 1 cup flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup milk (plus more for thinning, if needed)
  • 1 stick of butter (half for pan half melted in microwave for batter)
  • 1 cup blueberries (plus more for garnish)
  • Powdered sugar

Sift together flour, baking powder and sugar.  Add the egg, the milk and the melted butter.  Whisk together thoroughly (adding more milk if needed)  while preheating a large pan over medium heat.  Drop remaining butter into preheated pan.  Pour batter on pan.  Using your hands, arrange/drop blueberries into pancake. Flip when pancake starts to bubble.  Remove from heat when golden brown.

This entry was posted in All, Breakfast, For Kids and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to Blueberry Pancakes!

1. Rachel C. says:

Thank you for the recipe and tips, Kate! I followed this recipe exactly and the pancakes were delicious!!!

2. RavieNomNoms says:

Blueberry pancakes are THE best! I seriously love having them at any time of day. Breakfast for dinner is always great with blueberry pancakes. Yours look so yummy!

3. Adriana says:

I just made these (yes, with the 1/2 stick of butter) and they were incredible. I have a new go-to recipe for pancakes. Thanks Kate!

4. These pancakes look fantastic Kate! I love blueberries on my pancakes :) Great tips!

5. Barbara Tintle says:

These pancakes look awesome! I love your description – 0bscene amounts of butter! The pictures are beautiful! Please keep the tips coming!

6. kankana says:

YAY .. Top 9 !!! Congrats :)
    Point no 6 : my fav :) These looks delicious and I too don’t like to chop berries in any dish.. want to bite into them.

7. Hi, This is my first time visiting your site. I absolutely love blueberries on my pancakes. Made some last week for my boys. Pancakes are still more dessert for me than breakfast, but that is okay. I am from Brazil, but have all-american boys and husband, pancakes are one of their choices for any meal:). I add some cottage cheese on mine and really made if fluffy too.

8. Peldyn says:

Lovely recipe, but I will have to cut out the butter and no powdered sugar for me. I have gastritis and those are on the bad list. So tired of bland food and blueberry pancakes sound SO good right now! When I am better you can be sure I will make this recipe un-redacted!

9. this looks delicious congrats on the top 9
    check out the event food palette series purple in my site
    regards

10. Connie says:

I like where your priorities lie with blueberry pancakes! Like you, I am adamant about having at least a single blueberry per bite. And your photo looks wonderful, I love that golden crispy edge on the pancake!

11. Great pancakes! These are a classic must-have family staple aren’t they? Congrats on Top 9 today. Much deserved! :)

12. Chef Dennis says:

simply perfect pancakes, and great tips!!! I always use butter to cook them in, it always makes them taste better!!!

Congrats on the top 9 today my friend!
    Dennis

• Thanks Chef Dennis! I love your recent post “Ask Chef Dennis”..so true. All about whether or not the person picking their photos is in a “you” sort of mood. This top 9..I thank the sun..for being out…for once. Thanks sun!

13. Peggy says:

Now I’m really excited to be getting blueberries in my CSA today! I know the first thing I’ll be doing with them is making some pancakes =)

14. Elies_Lie says:

Wow… great tips with the Bluberry!
    I loves bluberry & pancake combain become one! :D
    I make a banana pancake for today breakfast & I think I should try this bluberry pancake when I have the fresh bluberry ;)
    Tq for the recipe! ;)

15. Tiffany says:

I made pancakes on Saturday! Mmmmmm :D And I love your tips! Happy Tuesday Kate!

16. Kristy says:

This looks so delicious! I love the thought of bursting berries in my mouth! Yummy! Both of my kids would adore these. And you’re right…we don’t make these that often, we should go for the butter!

17. Lori Lynn says:

Love the photo…the blueberries look like they’re made of glass.
    LL

18. Juanita says:

I agree with you on the meted butter. Pancakes are just so much better with it rather than veg oil!

19. Don’t chop blueberries! I LOVE that! :)
    The pancakes look amazing… I am now hungry for pancakes! With butter!

20. Everything is better with butter! Great pancakes – and great tips!

21. Karen says:

These look fantastic! Pancakes make such a special weekend breakfast treat…
    Great tips, too!

22. Yummy! You are talking my language… LOTS of butter :) The tips are great, Kate! As are the pancakes… Thanks for sharing your recipe :)

23. This is definitely the most enjoyable tips on eating-nothing held back! Great pic-looks crisp and delicious.Thanks for sharing!

Oooh, how totally yummy! I love your tips…especially about using an obscene amount of butter…LOL.

Great tips, and beautiful pancakes!