There’s something about the beach that allows me to really appreciate the summer.  The breeze tosses my hair around and the sound of the crashing waves soothes me as the sand exfoliates and warms my freshly manicured feet.  No longer  are we stuck in the drudgery of daily life, where everyone is forced to wear uncomfortable clothing in excessive heat and humidity.  We trade our work attire for flowing sundresses and muslin wraps.

Whenever I go to the beach, I have a tendency to wake up ridiculously early.  I don’t know why.  Maybe it’s just to have a moment of tranquility before everyone else wakes.  Perhaps it’s just the sun rising so early.  Maybe I’m just a morning person.   Either way, there’s always time in the morning at the beach to make my favorite summer treats.   I like it because it’s casual and just what I need.  Some people wake up and have fresh fruit and water.  I am not one of those people.  I like protein so I’m not hungry twenty minutes after eating and coffee so I don’t doze off on the job.  Running after children anywhere is hard work, especially on the beach.

One of my favorite things in the world is this coffee drink.  It’s just regular drip coffee that’s been frozen after pouring in an ice-cube tray and then blended with whole milk, sugar and a couple of tablespoons of light chocolate syrup.  Absolute heaven.  Top with fresh whipped cream and I’ve completely outdone myself, in my humble opinion.  So simple, yet exactly what I need for a hot day pick me up, no matter where I am.  Caffeine and sugar, yes.  Delicious?  You bet.

The popover is just a simple popover with just a pinch of cinnamon and sugar.  Sometimes I’ll go savory and add some cheddar and chives, but I was in a sweet mood this morning.  The sun is finally shining…and I can’t wait to go to the beach.

Mocha Smoothie

Ingredients:

Coffee (chilled or room temperature)

1/2 cup whole milk

2 tablespoons light chocolate syrup

1 tablespoon sugar (or more if you prefer)

Whipped Cream (for the top)

Directions:

Pour coffee into ice-cube tray and place in freezer for about 2 hours, or until frozen.  In blender combine milk, chocolate syrup and sugar.  Drop the coffee ice cubes in blender and blend until smooth.  Top with whipped cream.  Enjoy.

Simple Popovers

(adapted from a recipe by Ina Garten, Barefoot Contessa)

Ingredients

1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus softened butter for greasing pans

1 1/2 cups flour

3/4 teaspoon kosher salt

3 extra-large eggs, at room temperature

1 1/2 cups milk, at room temperature

Directions

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Generously grease 12 cup popover pan or 4 oven safe mugs placed on a baking pan with butter.   Place in the oven for exactly 2 minutes to preheat.  Meanwhile, whisk together the flour, salt, eggs, milk, and melted butter until smooth. The batter will be thin. Fill the popover pans less than half full and bake for 30 minutes without opening the oven door.  Serve piping hot from the oven with butter and jam or fruit and honey.

Tagged with:

26 Responses to Beach Breakfast

1. Purabi Naha says:

I loved your beach breakfast post! A smoothie like this in one hand and the soft morning breeze in my favourite beach….oh! heaven!

2. Oh that Mocha smoothie looks so yummy and refreshing!
    I wish I could take it to the beach…I haven’t been to the beach in years! I need a vacay. :)

3. Elyse says:

I know what you mean about the beach making you love summer and wanting to take it all in. Your drink and popovers looks delicious!

4. Mocha smoothies and popovers… and your at the beach!!!??? Lucky you, this all looks dreamy.

5. Oh I SO want to make this. Does it mean that I need to go to the beach? Yes!!

6. Um, yum. Yes, the perfect beach breakfast. LOVE iced mochas in the summertime. I’m not quite there yet (mentally). ha! And LOVE the popover. So cute in the mug! :)

7. I want to be on the beach! This looks like a perfect summer breakfast. Thanks for sharing Kate!

8. Apron Appeal says:

I wonder if my mugs are oven safe.

9. Okay, don’t laugh. But, am I weird for never having eaten a popover before? I feel so deprived! I gotta try this recipe… and that drink looks divine. I don’t drink coffee, but my husband would flip over this! Thank you for sharing, Kate! :)

10. Lisa says:

OMG, your popovers are to.die.for and the photos are killing me..in a good way, of course. Love them in those cups. Nice, frosty mocha too! Definitely a perfect beach breakfast, although I’d be wearing a one piece after eating that LOL

• LOL! Yeah, since I made them triple-sized, I’d recommend sharing. They’re definitely 2-3 people popovers…When the came out of the oven, they were gigantic! The coffee drink…I finished myself. But..hey…”light”chocolate syrup. lol.

11. Popover are oh so simple but yet so great. I used to make them at the restaurant last summer (savory with cheese) and people couldn’t get enough! It’s the hollow inside that just never fills you up like bread does! And your coffee drink looks delicious, I might need to get into cold coffees soon!

12. PolaM says:

Wow those popover look good! And easy! I’ll have to try them!!

13. Juliana says:

Nice breakfast…love them both specially the popovers…so practical and you can serve sweet or savory. Nice pictures as well. Hope you are having a great week Kate :-)

14. I was looking at a nutella cake in a mug recently and now a popover. The only thing I’d do differently is use a much tackier mug :) Some tour tourist shop junk.

I love your cold coffee drink

15. Your coffee looks like a milkshake – YUM! Have you ever tried a scoop of ice cream, replaces the cream and sugar. You won’t regret it I promise. I love the mug idea. Popovers are great but I have yet to invest in a popover pan. I always thought that was the only way. I tried muffin tins but that was a fail.

• That’s a great idea! I think I might try that for dessert tonight. It worked really well, surprisingly enough. I thought I would have to change the cooking time and temperature, but they seemed to turn out just fine. They deflated a bit after baking, when they cooled, but I think that’s a fairly common occurance with popovers, though I’m no expert on the subject.

EDIT: I did a bit of googling, and, according to Alton Brown , if you cook popovers to a golden brown and then cut a slit in the top immediately after baking, they’ll retain their shape. Handy. I will try that next time. Still.. they tasted delicious. :)

16. Julia says:

I LOVE coffee and sugar too, maybe too much, is that even possible? And with a little popover, perfect little beach breakfast :)

%d bloggers like this: