Brown Butter Banana-Pineapple Cake

It’s mother’s day today.  I have been given the perfect gifts.  I have been given, the gift of sleep and the gift of time.  Today I slept until ten-thirty, which hasn’t happened in over a year.  When I did finally emerge from a much needed slumber, I had avoided multiple messes and meltdowns.  Beautiful, loving cards and gifts were placed next to me on my bedside table.   The boys were fed, clean and behaving themselves while also having a grand old-time.  We enjoyed some hugs and kisses and cartoons together.   Then, I spent entirely too long in the bathroom, flatironing and changing clothes to clean out my closet without anyone banging on the door.  After trying on 3 dresses and deciding on jeans, I proceeded to walk into a spotless kitchen.  Did I mention they did the laundry too?  Amazing! Flawless.

I currently have two free hands and the kitchen to myself, which has been cleaned by the boys for me to enjoy.   Mike’s in charge.  So they’re outside playing, only to stop for laundry switches.   Now that’s my kind of day.   We should do this Mother’s Day thing more often.  Just a suggestion.   It gives me time to think of cakes.  Like this one!

I’ve recently discovered the concept of one bowl.  I enjoy things that can be made in one bowl.  Less mess.  One large bowl, one cake pan, one small pot, something to mix it and move it.  That cuts the dishes in half, but you still get an amazing cake.  I like this idea. So, I ran with it.

The rum.  The sour cream.  The brown butter.   I mean, honestly how can you go wrong adding anything to just that alone?

Then…the ripe banana mixed with pineapple juice and garnished with the baked pineapple slices.  It’s very 1950s, and makes me want to wear big fluffy dresses and sweetheart necklines.  It’s retro-chic, which I enjoy.  The pineapple flavor with the banana bring the whole thing to a tropical paradise.  In my mind, that’s where I am today.

Happy Mother’s Day.

Enjoy.

• One overripe banana, mashed
  • 1 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 sticks butter
  • pinch cinnamon
  • 3 tbs. dark rum (splash)
  • 1/3 cup pineapple juice
  • 4-6 pineapple ring slices
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 pinch baking soda
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 3 eggs

Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees F.

In small saucepan over medium high heat simmer butter until brown, then add sugar, pineapple juice, banana, rum, and cinnamon.  Simmer for 2 minutes, whisking constantly.  Remove from heat.

Place pineapple slices into buttered 9 inch spring form cake pan.  Set aside.

In large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, and baking soda.  Add eggs, one at a time, whisking after each addition.   Mix sour cream and half the butter-sugar-banana mixture into batter. Pour into cake pan over pineapple slices.

Bake in preheated oven for about 35 minutes or until inserted knife comes out clean from center of cake.  Remove from oven.

Cool for ten minutes on cooling rack.  Poke holes in cake with a fork.  Remove outer ring of cake pan.  Flip onto cake plate.  Remove bottom of cake pan. Poke more holes in cake with fork.

Pour remaining butter sugar mixture over cake while it’s still slightly warm.

Enjoy.

This entry was posted in All, Dessert and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Brown Butter Banana-Pineapple Cake

1. Pingback: Warm Brown Butter BanaPineapple Cake | PThirty1

2. Mac says:

This looks really nice Bananas,Pineapple,sponge and a splash of rum with some sugar what more could you ask for? Chocolate ! no only joking well done.

3. Chelsea says:

Ah!! This cake looks divine!! Perfect for the up and coming warm weather (yes, Montana the warm weather isn’t really here yet)!! I will be book marking this recipe!

4. Alisa says:

I love this new twist to pineapple upside down cake, I used to eat a lot of this when I was growing up :)

5. Ken Topham says:

Put Grandma’s old recipe away this is the new Grand Prize winner! Love Love LOVE this cake!!! The best ever! The brown butter, brown sugar and Rum sets the stage for the banana (the ticket) and cinnamon potion that will have this delectable cake the talk of the crowd. You will be very popular and in demand when you bring this one out. Loved the texture and melange of flavors. Two thumbs up here!

6. Michelle says:

Yum, I made a pineapple upside down cake the other day. It went so fast I didn’t even get a picture! Yum Yum! and lucky you for Mothers Day! Glad you were spoilt!

7. Karista says:

Love the twist on pineapple upside down cake! This is one of those treats from childhood that my Mom used to bake. But this one looks so much tastier. Can’t wait to try it, and I love the splash of rum. Happy Cooking!

Holy gorgeousness…completely deserving of top 9. Hope you had a great mother’s day!

9. Okay, browned butter AND Banana AND pineapple?! I’m so there! This looks scrumptious!

10. I am obsessed with browned butter right now! Thanks for the recipe it looks amazing!

11. Ebby says:

Wow! I love pineapple upside down cake and this one looks fabulous! Can’t wait to give it a try.

12. Brown sugar, bananas and rum?? Wow!! What a combo!! Sounds like you had a wonderful Mother’s Day.

13. I’m going to use the cast iron skillet my soon to be 100 year old Grandma gave me to make this. I’ll make a fruit salad and serve this for breakfast next Sunday morning.

14. alyce says:

Sounds amazing. Congrats on your top 9!

15. Okay so the cake is lovely…but the day sounds like a dream come true! Sigh. :)

16. Peggy says:

Everything in this sounds absolutely fantastic! Sounds like you had a stellar Mother’s Day! =)

17. Yum! I love the idea banana and pineapple in this cake, and you definitely got my attention with the drizzle over the top.

Oh, my, this looks delectable…and one bowl? Wonderful! Glad you had a nice Mother’s Day…I can’t even think when I’ve slept past 8 AM!

19. Pineapple has been on my mind all week. I have two sitting on my counter and made coconut-pineapple-strawberry smoothies for breakfast……now I may need to make cake! Delicious looking and I’ll bet it tastes wonderful too.

20. It sounds like you had a wonderful Mother’s Day. This cake sounds delicious. I love its simplicity!

21. Happy Mother’s day! Now, about this cake. Must have! I’ve got a pineapple screaming to be used and here’s a perfect solution! :)

22. Tiffany says:

Brown butter, sour cream, banana and pineapple?!?!? YUM-YUM-YUM!