Simple, Fast, Easy, Tomato Basil Sauce

I make sauce a lot.  All types of sauce.  I make cheesy sauces, cream sauces, tomato sauces, among others.   It helps when you’re a vegetarian to always have a good sauce you can smother all over bread.

This is my tomato basil sauce.  I use it for pizza and as my own sauce when the boys are having a meat sauce.  I think it’s delicious.  You should try it too .

Simple, Fast, Easy, Tomato Basil Sauce

• 2 tbs olive oil
  • 3 Cloves Garlic or roasted garlic , grated or minced
  • 1/2 tsp.  Crushed Red Pepper (*Optionally More, To Taste)
  •  28-Ounce Can Roma Style Tomatoes
  • 6 Ounces  (1 can) Tomato Paste
  • Kosher or Sea Salt 1 tbs.  (*Optionally More, To taste)
  • 1/4 tsp.  Balsamic Vinegar
  • 1 Cup, Packed Basil Leaves, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup grated,  parmesan (optional)
  • Ground Black Pepper* (optional)

1.  Place large pot over medium heat.

2.  Add olive oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Stir and let cook until you can smell the garlic.

3.  Add tomatoes and tomato paste. Stir & bring to light simmer.  Add Balsamic vinegar.

4.  Add Salt.  Taste.  Add more salt  if needed.  Taste.  Repeat salt, if necessary.

5.  Add basil.  Simmer for about 2 minutes more.   Stir.  Turn off of heat.

Bring to room temp.  Refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to a month.

This entry was posted in All, Dinner, For Kids, Lunch, Vegetarian and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Simple, Fast, Easy, Tomato Basil Sauce

1. Pingback: Italian & Vegan – Yeah, We Blend…Tofu Manicotti w/ Tomato-Basil Sauce | The Blue Plate and Cobalt Platter

2. Oh my!!! This looks fantastic! We do homemade pizza at least monthly! (Who am I kidding?!? If I have less than one ball of dough in my freezer, I go into a panic attack!) LOVE homemade pizza!!! http://healthnutfoodie.blogspot.com

3. Pingback: Roasted Carrots w/ Traditional Balsamic Vinegar | gourmetblends

4. Gourmantine says:

Delicious looking sauce! I’ve gave your lovely site a couple of awards, you can see it here :) http://www.gourmantineblog.com/?p=1323

5. Your personal recipe is very interesting, with parmesan, balsamic vinegar and garlic, and it sounds very tasty!

Keep it up!

Mario Grazia

6. Pingback: The Meatball Project Conclusion on Family and Picky Eaters (non-recipe post) « Kate from Scratch

7. What a lovely tomato sauce! I bet it would be as tasty on pizza as it would be tossed with pasta! Thanks for sharing! You have a beautiful blog and I’m looking forward to exploring your recipes. :)

8. Kate says:

This sauce looks delish and pretty simple which I LOVE! Looks like it would be a great sauce for an easy and quick weeknight dinner. Thanks for sharing!

• Yeah, the simplicity is what I love about it too. Anybody can dump a bunch of dried seasonings into a sauce, but this is at least a nice base. I like it without any extras but sometimes some roasted red peppers and kalamata olives (and 1/4 cup grated onion – don’t tell my family. They think they hate onions) make it extra special. That was the inspiration for the aforementioned puttanesca pizza.

I also make this with fresh tomatoes in the summer. So good.

9. Your right this is in deed a simple sauce, but is yummy and smells great!

10. Oh my does this tomato basil sauce look incredible. I LOVE balsamic vinegar in tomato sauce. YUM! :)

11. Thanks! Yeah, the balsamic adds a little sweetness and depth in a pinch.

12. Connie says:

Wonderful, I love the balsamic in there. My quick tomato sauce might be getting some adjustments…

13. Megan says:

This sounds (and looks) delicious!! I’m always looking for new sauces to try. Thanks for sharing!

14. Strawbz says:

Tom and basil is the best combo ever :-) will definately make this :-)

15. Kelly says:

This looks incredible!

16. tiffany says:

Mmmmm, yummy. I love tomatoes and basil! :D

17. This looks fantastic! The bf and I absolutely LOVE red sauce (on anything, really), so this is definitely going to be a must-try.

If you’d like to explore some pizza options, I just wrote a blog on homemade pizza (complete with pictures!) that you should check out. It’s wonderful stuff :)

Anyway, thanks for sharing, and keep doing what you do!!